Korean Service Medal
Eligibility for the medal (at left in photo) is based on the following:
(1) Duty must be performed in Korea, including the waters adjacent thereto
within the following limits: From a point at latitude 39 · 30" N., longitude
122 · 45' E., southward to latitude 33 · N, longitude 122 · 45' E; thence
eastward to latitude 33 · N., longitude 127 · 55' E.; thence northeastward
to latitude 37 · 05' N., longitude 133 · E.; thence northward to latitude
40 · 40' N., longitude 133 · E.; thence northwestward to a point on the east
coast of Korea at the juncture of Korea with the U.S.S.R.; or in such areas
as Commander, Naval Forces Far East considers has having directly supported
the military effort in Korea.
(2) Such duty must have been performed between 27 June 1950 and 27 July 1954.
(3) Sea Duty. -- Service for one or more days in the designated area while
attached to and serving on board a vessel of the Navy or Coast Guard, or other
vessel to which regularly assigned for duty.
(4) Shore duty. -- Attached to and regularly serving on shore in the designated
area for one or more days with an organization that is participating in combat
operations or in direct support of combat missions.
(5) Temporary Additional Duty. -- Service of 30 consecutive days or 60
nonconsecutive days in prescribed area is required for personnel on temporary
additional duty, except in cases wherein a vessel, aircraft, or unit engages
in combat with, attacks, or is attacked by enemy forces, at which time all
United States naval personnel serving in the vessel, aircraft, or other unit
shall immediately become eligible for the medal without reference to time limit.
(6) Passengers. -- No individual en route in a purely passenger status, i.e.,
observer, visitor, courier, or escort, shall become eligible for the medal
unless the means of conveyance on which he is traveling is attacked by or
engages in combat with the enemy. In the latter case he shall become eligible
for the medal on the occasion of the attack or combat.
(7) Patients in hospital ship. -- Personnel embarked in a hospital ship for
passage as a patient shall be considered as attached to the ship.